CROSSING THE ALPS - SURPRISING HIKE - MEDIEVAL CASTLE - WILD LANDSCAPES - RIVER
A unique Train Experience through the Alps to discover a historic train line that crosses the Alps from the Côte d'Azur to the Gorges du Verdon, a technical feat of French civil
engineering from the beginning of the 20th century, the opportunity to visit 2 amazing villages shaped by a unique history, the most surprising hike in the Southern Alps with giant sandstone
blocks creating a "meteor shower" effect, rock shelters, a unique geological site, the "King's Room", a forest of chestnut trees several hundred years old and in a few hours a diversity of
landscapes that creates a succession of surprises. The 2nd site is not the least with the Royal City-Citadel of Entrevaux, its medieval drawbridge, its majestic citadel overlooking the Var
Valley. Many gems to discover and fabulous landscapes.
Let's start the day early in the morning (meeting at 8:00 am on Sunday and 8:45 am the other days of the week) to fully enjoy this special day. The Train des Pignes will amaze you with its
route, its breathtaking views of the villages, through valleys, viaducts and tunnels, witnesses of the French civil engineering of the beginning of the 20th century. 2 hours of unique
experience commented on board by our local expert guide through one of the most incredible train lines in France.
Then, we will pass from village to village and stop in the 2 most interesting sites: Annot and Entrevaux. You will enjoy the clean, fresh and invigorating air of the Alps, during a hike full
of surprises and hidden treasures (depending on the physical condition of the group we will choose the shorter hike (4km) or the longer loop (8km), a haven of peace just a few steps from the
French Riviera. We will prepare a delicious picnic of local specialties and products and finish this stop by discovering the village of Annot, its medieval atmosphere and its troglodyte
houses dug in the rock.
Then, we will take the train des Pignes to explore Entrevaux, a medieval city of Exception with its remarkable drawbridge perched above the river, the flamboyant baroque cathedral, its ridge
that forms a natural rock barrier determining its history as a French historical fortress and especially its castle overlooking the village by 100 meters from which one can wonderfully
embrace the Var Valley.
An unforgettable day, a caress for the eyes...
Attention, sportive day, good physical condition strongly recommended!
THE ROUTES OF THE ALPS BY TRAIN : NATURE, GEOLOGY & FORTRESS TOUR
Highlights of the train tour "Train des Pignes : THE MOST BEAUTIFUL HIKE AND THE MAJESTIC ROYAL CITY-CITADEL" :
- A unique historical train line through the Alps (bridges, valley, tunnels) with commentaries on board
- Authentic and surprising villages of the Var Valley
- One of the most surprising hikes in the region, a geological and natural jewel, a diversity of landscapes that creates a succession of surprises
- A rich medieval history
- A crossing of the Southern Alps
- A cathedral, churches and chapels of exception
- A typical Nice picnic lunch
- Local guide, professional and expert of these villages
- Guided tours in small groups for a better quality of service (16 pers. max.)
OPTIONS Culture & History :
- Visit of the Motorcycle Museum in Entrevaux
- Kayak, Rafting and Canyoning activity (+50€ per person) (only if booked in advance by a group, if only 2 people want to book this option it is possible but they will have to leave the rest
of the group for half a day and will not visit Entrevaux)
Price conditions :
Included: round trip train ticket, local and expert guide full day, picnic lunch of local specialties (packed lunch)
POSSIBLE OPTIONS FOR PRIVATE GROUPS: Sports and Hiking (Options only available for groups of 6 to 11 people, please give 2 weeks notice) :
- Canyoning or river rafting or simple swimming
- Via Ferrata and Tyrolean traverse (+5€/person 2-3h)
Possibility to stay one night (or more) in a Hotel, Hostel, Refuge or Camping/Mobilhome/Yourte and to elaborate tailor-made programs over several days with hikes (Sport or relax days, massages,
spa & wellness).
Choose the options you like and ask for the programme! We will send you the best possible programme according to the planned tours and our availability.